The ERA-Net SUSFOOD (Sustainable Food Consumption and Production) launched its first Joint Call for proposals in February 2013.
Research project consortia could apply to three thematic call topics. Out of 98 pre-proposals, 26 were invited to submit a full proposal. Finally, 9 full proposals were selected for funding, 3 from each topic. These projects started in 2014, most for three years.
More information on each of these projects can be found by clicking on the title.
Topic 1: Improving input, waste and side flow strategies to increase resource efficiency and provide added value in food products and food processing, manufacture, reducing input (energy, water etc.) in the food chain.
- CEREAL - Improved and resource efficiency throughout the post-harvest chain of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables
- Sunniva - Sustainable food production through quality optimized raw material production and processing tech-nologies for premium quality vegetable products and generated by-products
- BioSuck - Decision support system on optimized waste collection by vacuum technology with simultaneous production of bioenergy from wastes
Topic 2: Innovation in food processing technologies and food products to support a sustainable food chain.
- CIBUS-FOOD - Computational-design and Innovative Building of Uniquely Structured Food
- Sustainable&Healthy - Development of sustainable processing technologies for converting by-products into healthy, added value ingredients and food products
- BIOPROT - Novel multifunctional plant protein ingredients with bioprocessing
Topic 3: Understanding consumer behaviour to encourage a (more) sustainable food choice
- FOCAS - Food, Convenience and Sustainability
- COSUS - Consumers in a sustainable food supply chain: understanding barriers and facilitators for acceptance of visually suboptimal foods
- SUSDIET - Implementing sustainable diets in Europe